I don't like autohell, but I have learned that when working with projects based on autotools, don't try to fight back... Autotool-build the libraries that the autotool'ed project depends on also.

I had success with using http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=lua.git;a=tree I recently noticed http://git.pengutronix.de/?p=ptxdist.git;a=tree;f=patches/lua-5.1.4;hb=HEAD , but I have not tried it.

I think it would be good if autoconf.ac and Makefile.am files were maintained in the distribution. A basic, readable makefile that you patch to your need is still good to offer. But automatic adapting to different platforms are far better handled by autotools or Cmake.

Egil