On 19/10/2011 14:56, Patrick Mc(avery wrote:
if we could trade weak tables and closures for a simple
python/import mechanism then I think that would be better for the language.

I never used weak tables, but closures are much more pervasive in Lua than you think. They are easy to understand and to use and are so convenient.
(Perhaps you meant coroutines?)

Side note: the main goal of Lua is to be embedded. I am one of those using Lua as a general purpose scripting language, but I bet most users just use Lua inside an application. In this context, an include doesn't make much sense.
That's why the module stuff have been added late, I think.

Personally, dofile suffices to most of my needs...

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France