On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Patrick Mc(avery
<patrick@spellingbeewinnars.org> wrote:
> opposite! I think it's power is a threat if it drains away
> professional-programmers, while Python has the potential to become the
> "Walmart" of programing languages,

Ah, but your marketing analysis assumes competition in a single
market, whereas it's much more about niches and how well a language
can fill that niche.

Also, note although people regularly bitch about Java, they are
looking ahead to new JVM languages.  No one wants to do their serious
banking infrastructure in Python!  Again, a niche.

> never have understood Lua's prototype-like object system without having
> understood Python's plain class based object system first.

Except that it probably helps to have 'beginners' mind' and stop
pining for classes ;)   Learning about the power of closures makes a
lot of class-y machinery redundant!  Old news to the Schemers, but man
it did blow my mind.

steve d.