* Jay Carlson:

>> However, that is quite distinct from the DOM API. 8-)
>
> The DOM was a horrible, horrible disaster for XML.[2] I would say it
> set back XML and the Web by a year but a full accounting of its damage
> is not obvious nor complete.

I'm not sure if the DOM API is *that* bad.

Anyway, it turns out I only use a tiny part of it, so I don't really
need it.  Creating the tree structure I need with LuaExpat is
straightforward.  I'm not sure if Expat handles all the entity
decoding properly, but my test cases are processed just fine.

Now I need to port my processing logic and write something to convert
trees back to strings.