I am not aware of an xml lib that provides a simple access in Lua. What you could consider however is to use Lua Expat [1] and use this to create a dom like access pattern that matches exactly your needs. I think the required code for this would be acceptably short and simple. It would probably come closer to your actual needs than any existing library.

[1] http://matthewwild.co.uk/projects/luaexpat/