A lot of the Glib libraries get written this way.

I'm using cairo graphics and pixman right now, and they all start with cairo_, and pixman_.

Your example is kind of like SDL, it starts with SDL_, and SDL being made of formerly game programmers, probably influenced by quake naming CL_xx (for client side stuff), SV_xxx (for server side game logic), G_xxx (for sharing), R_xxx (for rendering), etc.

Lastly you have glXxx, glutXxxx, glfwXxxx, clXxxx (OpenCL), etc.

But one thing that I've never quite got was C++ namespaces - mainly because they are not "searchable" with simple mechanism. They are only searchable if the code is "linked" e.g. knows about each other, and this is usually only done after compiling step, or some very special heuristic code browser.

Before coming with a name prefix, look at your functions, then just google it - if you find related - then choose - either use the same name, or if the library is too popular and orthogonal to yours, then it might be used in the same linkage with yours, so you better use other name.

For example there was no need to come up with new "gl" extension for OpenGL ES2 as normally you don't link OpenGL ES2 with OpenGL (rarely it's need, but I had a case where that was needed).

Naming is the hardest simple thing one has to do :)

Not only your functions, but your children too!