On 10/13/2011 6:29 PM, Christopher Berardi wrote:
On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 12:34:12PM -0400, Stephen Blackwell - Applications Engineering wrote:
Hi, I'm new to Lua and I'm also more used to Linux than Windows so these
questions probably seem very basic.

How do I get a Lua console in Windows? I expected that just typing lua
an the command prompt would work but it doesn't.

Another option for the OP is to install Cygwin, for a Linux-like environment. (But may not be so easy if corporate policies are involved.) The terminal, MinTTY, is also available on MSYS. Less of a need to retrain muscle memory, etc.

With the correct paths etc, using a non-Cygwin Lua installation should not pose a problem. Or build from sources (if additional libraries isn't a priority), Lua compiles out-of-the-box for Cygwin and MSYS/MinGW.

[snip]
So, assuming you installed the Lua binary named lua51.exe into Program Files
and the Lua directory, a call from the commmand prompt of

"C:\Program Files\Lua\lua51.exe"

should work.
[snip]

--