On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 12:34:12PM -0400, Stephen Blackwell - Applications Engineering wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to Lua and I'm also more used to Linux than Windows so these
> questions probably seem very basic.
>
> How do I get a Lua console in Windows? I expected that just typing lua
> an the command prompt would work but it doesn't.

Unlike in Unix/Linux, Windows doesn't install binaries into a single
directory, and the %PATH% does not descend into subdirectories (at least it
doesn't seem that way to me).

So, assuming you installed the Lua binary named lua51.exe into Program Files
and the Lua directory, a call from the commmand prompt of

> "C:\Program Files\Lua\lua51.exe"

should work.

You can then add that directory to %PATH% via the environment variables. If
memory serves, right click on "My Computer" > Properties > somewhere on the
lower part of the popup in one of the tabs there is a button called
Enviroment Variables and you want to modify the Path to add the Lua directory
at the end.

Isn't Unix/Linux so much more user friendly!

--
Christopher Berardi
http://www.natoufa.com/

Be still, and know that I am God (Psalms 46:10)