On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 15:11, Eduardo Ochs <eduardoochs@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 7:47 AM, Alexander Gladysh <agladysh@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, list!
>>
>> Over and over again I have problems with newcomers to Lua who have
>> read PiL 1 because it is rumored to be a great book and first edition
>> is freely available. They use deprecated features, and in general have
>> problems with those tiny differences in language. (I do not
>> exaggerate, this happens with like 80% of newbies I work/communicate
>> with, and I work with relatively many people.)
>>
>> I humbly ask Lua team to stop confusing people and remove PiL 1 from
>> free access.
>>
>> Furthermore, please do not open access to PiL 2 when PiL 3 would be published.

> May I not-so-humbly ask you to stop asking that?
> I teach Lua (informally) to first-year university students and they find
> the HTML version of PiL 1 incredibly useful - and they take ages to get far
> enough to even come near the deprecated parts.

OK, maybe I should not be so eager to remove the book :)

But the problem is still there nevertheless.

So, I have two items for Lua team:

1. Please clearly mark each page in the PiL 1 as "this documents Lua
5.0, current version is Lua 5.1, see differences here" (or something
like this).

2. Is there anything we (community, our company, me personally) can do
to make PiL 2 publicly available?

Alexander.