The following aside in a post of KHMan quoted by Lorenzo Donati exposes
a gap in my knowledge.

> > Mike Pall's Lua interpreter is already a lot faster, let alone the JIT.

I presume the remark means that the compile-to-bytecode part of LuaJIT
is faster than the corresponding part of Lua 5.1.

Now LuaJIT supplies a "luajit -jbc" control command, which lists the
bytecode but does not AFAICT offer an option to store it for later use.

I.e. there seems to be no LuaJIT equivalent of

    luac -o foo.lbc foo.lua
    lua foo.lbc

True?  And if so, surely debated on this list before my time?

Dirk