On 9/22/2011 1:10 PM, Dirk Laurie wrote:
The following aside in a post of KHMan quoted by Lorenzo Donati exposes
a gap in my knowledge.

Mike Pall's Lua interpreter is already a lot faster, let alone the JIT.

I presume the remark means that the compile-to-bytecode part of LuaJIT
is faster than the corresponding part of Lua 5.1.

I have been too lazy to study the LuaJIT sources, but AFAIK, IIRC, the interpreter is written in assembly and is several times faster than the standard Lua implementation. I'm sure others who are more familiar with LuaJIT can fill in the details.

Here is a link: http://luajit.org/performance_x86.html

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)