On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 8:07 AM, HyperHacker <hyperhacker@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think I'd recommend it for a first language though. I'd
> recommend it for a second, following some very simple language
> designed specifically to be a first language,

I'd say that Lua would do fine as a first language, if you also
provided a rich and interesting environment for it.  Gone are the days
when kids would stare in amazement at the results of a simple for-loop
in BASIC.  Now you have to deliver a multimedia environment as well -
something like Lubyk shows potential here.

(Classic kids' programming languages: LOGO. A friendly LISP with a
cute graphics library and a formidable intellectual underpinning (read
Papert's Mindstorms))

steve d.