On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 11:03 PM, steve donovan
<steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
> This page in fact makes the assertion:
>
> "Lua took multiple assignment and multiple returns from function calls
> from CLU."
>
> But this is a [citation needed] ;)

R. Ierusalimschy, L. H. de Figueiredo, W. Celes,
The evolution of Lua,
Proceedings of ACM HOPL III (2007) 2-1–2-26.
(http://www.lua.org/doc/hopl.pdf)

section "4. Birth":
    From CLU we took multiple assignment and multiple returns from
function calls.
    We regarded multiple returns as a simpler alternative to reference
parameters used
    in Pascal and Modula and to in-out parameters used in Ada; we also
wanted to avoid
    explicit pointers (used in C).