On 8 September 2011 12:31, steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Philippe Lhoste <PhiLho@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Why unconscious? Language designers don't hesitate to steal good ideas from
>> other languages. Fortunately, as searching absolutely originality can lead
>> to unusable, unlearnable & unreadable, academic languages... :-)
>
> Yeah, maybe 'unacknowledged' is a better word, not that I think that's
> a bad thing - this is not academia.

Well part of the problem is that multiple return values is hardly new
and certainly predates Lua by probably a decade. I used Poplog in the
1980s and that had multiple return values. I doubt that Poplog was the
first language to have this feature either. I suspect that most
Forth/stack based languages had this feature (or at least  the ability
to do this) since the dawn of time (or Charles Moore - whichever came
first).