On 8 September 2011 19:33, Gé Weijers <ge@weijers.org> wrote:
Well part of the problem is that multiple return values is hardly new
and certainly predates Lua by probably a decade. I used Poplog in the
1980s and that had multiple return values. I doubt that Poplog was the
first language to have this feature either.

Clu (Liskov et. al., 1974) had both multiple return values and iterators/generators.

Any language with native support for tuples (or equivalent constructs) can do multiple returns trivially, so this dates back to Lisp at least, which puts it as about 1959.

--
"Perhaps people don't believe this, but throughout all of the discussions of entering China our focus has really been what's best for the Chinese people. It's not been about our revenue or profit or whatnot."