> I'm going to say it again because it seems like it's not getting through.

Its not because it contradicts common sense of English.

> "If the value at the given acceptable index" explicitly implies that
> you've given an acceptable index to the function.

It says if the value at the given acceptable index .. returns bla.
OTHERWISE returns null.

Whats to misunderstand here? This is very defined. I don't care if the
manual is flawed, the code is flawed, or its all just well defined and
your argumentation is flawed. But something is contradicting here.