> I use them both in my little web-crawling utility module WDM [1]

I see you are using Roberto's XML parser as a base, which is a strict
parser that raises errors on improperly formatted XML?
A problem I ran into last week is that the HTML spec is a bit
different than XML[1], unless the webpage is specifically using an
XHTML doctype, and many websites had html errors on top of that. The
approach I went with was a non-strict HTML parser that always tries to
stick elements somewhere in the DOM, I'll put what I have so far on
the wiki or github later this week.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML_element#Syntax