> As you are already using a non-standard Lua compilation, maybe you can
> simply change the limit LUAI_MAXCCALLS in luaconf.h to a much higher
> value.

What Markus describes is exactly how I implement multi threading in
Lua 5.1, both on Windows and on an embedded system OS.  To understand
this issue properly, is there really a mismatch in the call counter?
This would imply that this threading model is inherently unreliable
with out-of-the-box Lua (and incrementing some limit would not solve
this imho).  The only sane alternative to threading I can think of is
to create separate states (not just threads) and use inter-state
communication.  That would be much more inconvenient to work with
though.

Bye,
Wim