On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 8:07 AM, Reuben Thomas <rrt@sc3d.org> wrote:
> The very fact that no other common scripting language does this is a
> bad sign

Most common scripting languages are a horror-freak-show of bad design decisions.

> but in the case of Lua there's the explicit reason that it's
> meant to work for data description (Lua equivalent of JON), things
> like:
>
> server = "foo.bar.com"
> port = 25

I didn't think it was necessary to say so explicitly, but I would make
an exception for _top-level_ declarations.

I agree that it's Lua's background as a data-description language that
probably led to the use of global-by-default, but I don't think it's a
good design for Lua as it's used today.

-miles

--
Cat is power.  Cat is peace.