On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 15:02, Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at> wrote:
> Alexander Gladysh <agladysh@gmail.com> wrote:

> A reference manual should generally explain each thing once, concisely and
> unambiguously.

It also should be easy to comprehend — and it is certainly much more
important than "once" and "concisely".

Otherwise this is language standard we're talking about, not reference
manual — that's two different documents, not mutually exclusive.

> Newbies who don't understand metamethods should read PiL
> before consulting the reference manual. It sounds to me like you are
> asking for a description similar to http://www.lua.org/pil/13.4.1.html

Sadly, PiL is commercial, so it is much less available to the users.
And the fact that PiL 1 is freely available does not make things
better — in my experience, many get confused when they try to apply
5.0-only concepts to 5.1. But I digress, this has nothing to do with
original topic.

Alexander.