Alexander Gladysh <agladysh@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 12:51, Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at> wrote:
> > Alexander Gladysh <agladysh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I would even go further and add a full natural language description to
> >> each metamethod. While a blob of code is sufficient, it is too formal
> >> for newbie (who is not necessarily verse enough in Lua to get a full
> >> grasp of it).
>
> > It sounds to me like what you want is a tutorial rather than a reference
> > manual.
>
> No. Tutorial explains how to do things. Reference manual explains what
> things are.

A reference manual should generally explain each thing once, concisely and
unambiguously. Newbies who don't understand metamethods should read PiL
before consulting the reference manual. It sounds to me like you are
asking for a description similar to http://www.lua.org/pil/13.4.1.html

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Rockall, Malin, Hebrides: South 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8 at first in