The lua doxygen preprocessor is extremely primitive, I spent some time getting it to parse the style of inheritance I use ( patterned after http://lua-users.org/wiki/InheritanceTutorial ) and generating class X : public Y { }  statements. That allowed me to get inheritance diagrams out of doxgen. I'd say that if you're willing to hack at the perl a bunch and add a bunch of tokens to your code that can turn off the preprocessor around particular bits of complex lua you can get something reasonable out of the preprocessor route. My perl code is pretty atrocious, and I wound up customizing the preprocessor heavily for my own code base.
 I'm wondering what someone with a real lua parser could do in terms of generating c-like code for doxygen to parse.

-Gedalia