So, when the lua vm is integrated in an application (in my case in a java application), It seems that the behavior of popen on windows is very different than the linux behavior.

1) a call of popen, open a dos prompt dialog on windows, not on linux.
2) the file handle return by popen is not readable on windows.

I would like to integrate luarocks in our eclipse IDE for lua. So I need the same popen behavior on windows and linux. I will surely implement popen in java (thanks to luajava) as workaround.
I see I'm not the only one who meets this problem. (http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2010-08/msg00259.html)
But I think that everybody implements a workaround in his side is not the better solution. Is there a fix planned in an upcoming release of lua vm?

Simon