On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 3:31 AM, joshua simmons <simmons.44@gmail.com> wrote:
> As far as I'm concerned, native dependencies not managed by luarocks are the
> host system's problem. lua-zmq requires libzmq, how you get it is your
> problem.

Although it would be very cool if a rockspec could specify how to get
the external dependencies on a per-platform basis:

package = {
  name = 'zmg',
  native = {
    ['apt-get'] = 'zmg0',
    yum = 'zmg',
    macports = 'zmg',
   -- and so on
  }
}

Just a serving suggestion, of course: the action would to be to use
the tool for installation, if needed. There are a fair amount of
tricky details, and the packager has to do some diligent testing, but
it offers one way for LR to handle external dependencies in a
semi-automatic fashion.

steve d.