* Axel Kittenberger <axkibe@gmail.com> [110316 05:41]:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Michael Gogins
> <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hate is a matter of personal taste, but if you can moderate your hate
> > of C++ I would advise you to.
>
> C(++) Is of course the most high-performance/memory usage solution, if
> done right that is*.

  When I began transitioning from C to C++, I experimented with
  writing small applications compiled/linked in both C and C++ and
  noted that C++ source generated much larger binaries. By examining
  the binaries, I could see that a lot of the extra bytes in the C++
  binaries were the result of munging for overloaded functions.

  I am related to a developer for Microsoft. He says that the use of
  C++ is favored by higher-ups because the greater OOP approach of
  C++ translates better to team development, but assets that both C
  and assembler are used in bottlenecks.

  I another thread I mention using C in an OOP context. It *is*
  possible to do and there are some examples of it in Linux. I note
  also that most Linux OS development is done in C, not C++.

> scripting language or at least a higher intermediary like java or go.
>
> Also to regarding speed, it is easily that many normal projects will
> even perform better in a scripting language, since you can much more
> easily use better algorithms. I recently converted my project from C
> to Lua (and a much smaller C core) (and since then you've me on the
> maillinglist :-) At many places where I used linear arrays, just due
> to coding economy, the basic algorithmn is now a Hashtable instead
> because in Lua you get them for free (or you actually cannot even due
> anything that is not a hashtable), that made many O(n) places to O(log
> n). Of course I you can hashtable everything also in C, but again the
> is a coding economy.
>
> So I would advice again C++ for Web Development, unless you really
> have to. Or when the estimated difference in costs of personal
> development/maintaining costs really rectify the estimated difference
> in saved server operation costs.
  I did web development in C and C++ for 5 years. I would do it
  again if offered the job and paid accordingly, but the client
  would pay dearly for the additional coding time.
  cheers
--
Tim
tim at johnsons-web dot com or akwebsoft dot com