I agree that the special case of <expr>.<keyword> could be resolved by having the lexer produce an identifier after the token '.'.

Once you do that the next request will be to support

  { function = 3 }

as the equivalent of

  { ["function"] = 3 }

This is trickier because

  { function = 3 }

and

  { function () return 5 end }

would both be legal and now we need more lookahead. I believe it's better not to go down this road. Error messages become less meaningful as well.