So I managed to resolve the directory finding, I think... I added an environment variable for LUA_CPATH and added the location to clibs. Now the exception just returns "function" as it's result. I'm assuming it finds the DLL now but fails another way.

Quoting kenk@heroesent.com:

Hi there, I'm playing around with Lua and xpath... I can run fine from
Scite but executing the script from within a C# proj and it tries to
load the module 'lxp' (referenced from within xpath...I'm assuming this
is trying to load the lxp.dll located in clibs) it fails. I've include
the clibs path everywhere now and nothing. error is as follows:

C:\LuaDev\Lua5.1\lua\lxp\lom.lua:4: module 'lxp' not found:
	no field package.preload['lxp']
	no file '.\lxp.lua'
	no file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
10.0\Common7\IDE\lua\lxp.lua'
	no file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
10.0\Common7\IDE\lua\lxp\init.lua'
	no file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
10.0\Common7\IDE\lxp.lua'
	no file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
10.0\Common7\IDE\lxp\init.lua'
	no file 'C:\LuaDev\Lua5.1\lua\lxp.lua'
	no file 'C:\LuaDev\Lua5.1\lua\lxp.luac'
	no file 'C:\LuaDev\Lua5.1\clibs'
	no file '.\lxp.dll'
	no file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
10.0\Common7\IDE\lxp.dll'
	no file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
10.0\Common7\IDE\loadall.dll'

Thanks for any help!