On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 1:21 AM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 February 2011 20:06:26 you wrote:
>
>> Good Luck!
>>
>> BTW, do you have any idea if using lua for vim scripting is better
>> performance wise compared with vimscript?
>
> Whoa! I had no idea that Vim can already use Lua for writing Vim scripts.  I
> Googled and found all sorts of Vim tools for *editing* Lua, but couldn't find
> where you could use Lua instead of Vimscript inside Vim itself. If you can
> point me to docs on using Lua as a scripting language to control Vim, that
> would greatly strengthen my position about moving VO to Lua.

Sure, make sure you have vim 7.3 installed. Check it out doing:

vim --version (displays lots of info)

and then:

vim --version | grep lua (it should output +lua).

if you have 7.3 but it says "-lua", you'll need to a) find a package
for your O.S. which has lua included, or download from sources and
compile it yourself.

Once you reach there, the best source of info I found is inside vim
itself: :help lua. You'll probably find the vimscript docs inside vim
handy too as many things maps in one way or the other from vimscript
to lua.

BTW, the author of the lua binding is Luis Carvalho, which seems to be
pretty active in this list :-)

http://lua-users.org/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=Luis+Carvalho&idxname=lua-l&max=20&result=normal&sort=date:late