On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:
> I suspect for a lot of projects, that would be wayyyy overkill and
> compile-time generated thunks would be a better method.

Yes, and at the risk of stating the obvious, many bindings are not
particularly speed-sensitive. Sure, if you are doing high-performance
computing in Lua, this is probably a new golden age (and that isn't
hyperbole!) but most things are I/O bound or handling GUIs where the
user would not notice a few milliseconds difference.

Alien is fast enough, mostly, and a FFI-compatible interface to it
would be fine for many tasks, with an immediate optimization path
available.

steve d.