> My guess has been that this would entail using FFI's parser to
> automatically produce C-code for a traditional Lua-C interface library,
> but use dynamic FFI interfaces for LuaJIT.  Build-time configuration
> could detect whether LuaJIT was available or not, and arrange for the
> appropriate method to be used.

Given the properly generated C code, it could be compiled a runtime
using luaclang.  It doesn't come cheap (Clang/LLVM is a big project),
but it does compile C-code on the fly quickly.  luaclang can be easily
ripped out of LuaAV simply by grabbing a handful of header files along
with it.

http://www.mat.ucsb.edu/projects/luaAV/browser/trunk/LuaAVApp/luaclang/src?rev=4181

wes