On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 14:15, Marc Balmer <marc@msys.ch> wrote:
> If anyone suggests holding a workshop in a country that is led by a
> dicator, like Cuba, or, e.g. Belarussia, I will raise my voice.  This
> has nothing to do with political BS, but these are countries that
> suppress, torture, and kill, their people.  Their political systems are
> contradictory to the spirit of freedom of anything.
>
> Keep in mind that I am Swiss, a country with a long record of direct
> democracy.  Cuba could, and in fact should, learn a lot from Switzerland.
>
> I do not want to abuse this mailing list for political statements.  But
> a workshop on free software in a dictatorship is just a no-go.

As someone who grew up in Soviet Union behind an iron curtain I just
want to mention that rare opportunities to meet and talk to someone
from the West were very important for then young folks like me. Seeing
that there is different life on the other side of the fence. It keeps
you going, you know.

Marc, please, do not get offended, but I think you simply lack
political maturity or have not traveled enough beyond Western Europe.

--Leo--