On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 13:05 +0100, Mike Pall wrote:
> Michal Kottman wrote:
> > I have a question I wanted to ask for a long time - are there any plans
> > to support C++? Using a database of classes/methods/arguments, I could
> > replace the whole 25Mb generated Qt bindings with a single library that
> > generates bindings on-the-fly. This is just a dream, but I hope there is
> > a faint chance of it becoming true :)
>
> Everything in the LuaJIT FFI is prepared to support C++, but I
> think implementing it will be a nightmare rather than a dream. :-)
>
> Getting simple textbook examples of C++ up and running is
> certainly doable. The problem is that none of the real-world code
> out there works that way. Inline functions and templates are just
> a few of the main stumbling blocks. E.g. Boost is hopeless (not
> that it would be that useful for Lua).

You're right, I was willing to miss templates, but I totally forgot
about inline functions. Looks like I should stop flying in dreams and
land in reality :)

> So if and when I add C++ support, it'll be a handpicked subset.
> The problem is that everyone needs a different subset. And Qt has
> a very quaint idea of that, too.
>
> Alas, I do have other plans for the next ten years of my life than
> implementing a full-blown C++ compiler. So don't hold your breath.

No one in his right mind should expect that from you :) Essentially all
I wanted to know is whether the thiscall convention is supported in
LuaJIT. Anyway, thanks for the great work!