I believe that if we manage to separate the map and array metaphors of a lua-table, then we can live with nil for the array-personality.

I agree with David about the map and nil - it bothers me that I cannot distinguish an unassigned entry from a non-existing one. It would be great if that could be addressed.

However, for an array abstraction we may not need it. If we have an interface that allows us to introspect the array-personality as being of a certain size n, then we already know that all elements with an index of a positive integer up to n do exist, and a nil value implies that it hasn't been assigned - no ambiguity. To support that view, you have to be able to set the size independent from whatever values you present at creation time.

I'm afraid that one has to define/agree-on the array-sematics that you want to support clearly before discussing the implementation.

-Frank.