On 1/4/2011 5:04 PM, Axel Kittenberger wrote:
On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 07:59:16PM +0200, David J. Slate wrote
I find myself ambivalent on this question.  On the one hand,
a well-designed set of extensions can be tremendously useful; on
the other it is instructive, and so much fun, to write one's own.

I don't quite get the "fun" argument. You can argue that for many
things writing them yourself and thus know exactly how it behaves is
faster than reading the documentation of a library. No one is forced
to use one anyway. Writing your own programming language is also so
fun, so why use an existing one? ...

Chill, dude.

It's fun (or enormously satisfying), for example, when code you write works. Yes, sometimes it becomes chore and all, but not usually with stuff we do for ourselves.

You sound like you missed Christmas...

:-) :-p

--
Cheers,