Just to clarify my post on the '#' operator:

This wasn't a "gotcha" for me, since I did read the manual, rather
than just relying on my intuition.  I enjoy reading programming
language reference manuals, and have been doing so for instruction and
entertainment for several decades.

The '#' operator is fine as it is, and I'm certainly not suggesting
that it be changed at this point.  However, if I were designing a
language from scratch to fit in Lua's "niche", then I would have
specified this "length" operator differently.

Issues with the '#' operator stem from Lua's insistence that all data
structures be represented as associative tables, with any
optimizations for particular uses of tables (such as lists and arrays)
done behind the scenes.  But that is one of Lua's features that I
really like.  I'm a big fan of Lua's syntactic and semantic
simplicity, which helped me to get up to speed quickly to make
productive use of it.

-- Dave Slate