> On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 07:59:16PM +0200, David J. Slate wrote
> I find myself ambivalent on this question.  On the one hand,
> a well-designed set of extensions can be tremendously useful; on
> the other it is instructive, and so much fun, to write one's own.

I don't quite get the "fun" argument. You can argue that for many
things writing them yourself and thus know exactly how it behaves is
faster than reading the documentation of a library. No one is forced
to use one anyway. Writing your own programming language is also so
fun, so why use an existing one? ...