On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 1:51 AM, John Passaniti <john@japanisshinto.com> wrote:
> me to make a Lua-based back-end.  Duh.  Now several years later, both
> lcc and Lua are better and it's something I'd recommend someone with
> more free time than me to explore.  Making a Lua back-end would allow
> all sorts of fun arbitrary back-ends without the usual pain and
> boredom of writing that in C.

That would be an entertaining and useful project! Unfortunately there
are only so many hours in the (average) day.

There are projects which analyze the assembly output of GCC for
detailed cross-references, e.g. [1]. (not hard to do in Lua, but a
details game - i.e. a few days devoted to it. Then my other projects
will get jealous.)

Just doing it with a raw lexical stream rapidly becomes a headache, as
I've been discovering.  And if you want to do it for C++ - well, I
still bear the scars from writing a C++ interpreter - put me off the
language.

steve d.

[1] http://www.billauer.co.il/cdepend.html