" I think you are looking for locals inside modules, or upvalues"

Hi Tomás

Thanks for your post. I write terrible emails. I am trying to write short terrible emails rather then long terrible ones :) I probably left out too much.

My newest project will probably be under 1K lines of code and would work with a poorly designed layout but I want to improve my habits. I do understand PIL/modules/upvalues quite well now but I am wondering if there are different strategies for managing much larger projects. I understand that lightroom is over 100k lines of Lua and there are other large applications too. Are there numerous design patterns out there to keep people from clobbering variables and organizing this much code? Do people usually just divide their code up into many modules? It seems that this is the main way privacy is achieved in let's say Python. Lua is a different tool and I want to learn the best way to use it irrespective of other languages.

Would a book on Javascript design patterns help with Lua?