On Monday 27 December 2010 03:54:23 Shamun toha md wrote:

> LUA is just a scripting language. And all other libraries that pops up in
> google, is just a third party maintained add-ons, which is really hard to
> get on time, and launch a project faster. Which we did with PureBasic
> language, just plug and code and deploy. This is not the same concept for
> LUA.
>

> Thanks & Regards
> Shamun

Hi Shamun,

Part of the problem is, speaking for myself, I'm still guessing at your
complaint. It sounds to me like you wanted a language to do everything out of
the box, and Lua wasn't it. It sounds like in particular you needed low level
sound capabilities, ProteaAudio didn't work for you, and you found no contact
information from ProteaAudio. It sounds like you want to go back to PureBasic,
which in your case might not be such a bad idea.

As best I can guess from your emails, you're building some huge, app with a
GUI interface, TCP stack, sound, and who knows what else. That's got to be
hugely difficult in any language, and probably would require third party
addons in any language.

You don't say whether this app is internal or for sale. If it's internal,
perhaps you can do part of the work by calling existing executables. I do this
all the time. People mock me for it, call it a kludge, but in fact there's
nothing quite like calling an optimized and time tested executable for
modularity and reliability.

Also, perhaps if you decide to stay with Lua you could do some of the low
level stuff in C and interface to it.

I take great interest in what you're doing because one of the things I want
from Lua, if at all possible, is quick GUI apps with Postgres connectivity,
and from what I see that requires third party stuff. Presumably the GUI part
would involve either FLTK or MurgaLua. I haven't heard of an interface to
Postgres, but I spoze if worst comes to worst I can do the Postgres by
spawning psql (there's that kludge again :-).

Anyway, next time you post, could you please try to reveal exactly what you're
doing and what your question is? As a guy with less than 2 weeks of Lua
experience, a thread like that would be very helpful to me.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package