[subject adjusted]

On 12/27/2010 8:28 PM, Mateusz Czaplinski wrote:
2010/12/27 KHMan:
On 12/27/2010 4:54 PM, Shamun toha md wrote:
This is not to underestimate LUA power, nor critic LUA (do not
misunderstand my texts).
[snipped junk]

Your thinking is wrong at so many levels [...]

Unfortunately, must agree.
Sounds like qualifying for some nice Computer Science Basic classes.

To sound more brotherly around this festive season, I think I owe Shamun some constructive talk...

Lua is just a tool, like a hammer. What you actually decide to use will depend on your application -- whether you need particular libraries, what manpower and skills your team have, your time frame, your budget, whether components must be ready-to-use, etc. Note that all these are project management issues.

So, this thread is more apt on a forum where say, people talk about post mortem of game projects. I think it is wrong to say Lua is in any way at fault. Human make the decisions.

Perhaps Lua was not a good fit for your particular set of needs given the resources you have and the software components you needed. But the decision was not made by Lua. So it is a management failure. As for specific details, I will refrain from talking too much and let others on the list fill them in, if the original poster, Shamun, does wish to discuss them.

I did notice something interesting in one other recent posting. There was a mention of "Lua lovers". Yes, Lua is nice and all, but it is also important not to let giddy enthusiasm override common sense. A team can only finish a project in a certain time frame when the project is do-able in a practical and sane way. Lua is just a tool, one of a huge number of tools and let us always choose tools wisely. This is not like leisure purchases where decision making do not have to make any sense.

We all make mistakes, not a problem as long as we learn from them and not make more of the same mistakes again.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)