That sounds true.

I use luarocks CFLAGS="-O2 -fPIC"  install lua_signal to achieve the same result.

hmm, luarocks is great.

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Rob Kendrick <rjek@rjek.com> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 11:55:42PM -0800, Zed Shaw wrote:

> I believe people need to add -fPIC to all .so builds on Linux, and
> maybe other platforms from now on.

You have always had to build shared objects with -fPIC, no mater what
architecture.  It just happened to mostly work without -fPIC on x86 (and
not AMD64), but though luck rather than good judgement.

And while I imagine it's technically possible to come up with a shared
object compiling and linking system that wouldn't require -fPIC, I bet
no operating system has such.

B.