Looking again a the various options, and since I really only need the client-side of the DNS protocol (enough to handle socket.dns.tohostname and socket.dns.toip, maybe the Lua solution is definitely the way to go.

thanks for the discussion.
valerio

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Valerio Schiavoni <valerio.schiavoni@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Matthew Wild <mwild1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sean's library looks attractive in that it is completely separate from
> the network,

That's attractive to me for the very same reason: I have to integrate
it in our own event-runtime [2], and since it is completely decoupled
from network, it might result in a faster process of integration.

> dns.lua had to be shoe-horned into our socket framework
> and it took us a while to make it non-blocking.

I've seen your code infact...

>On the other hand,
> dns.lua is pure Lua...

thanks for the pointer.