> Shameless plug: my lmd5 library also supports SHA-2 and works unchanged
> when linked with Aaron Gifford's code instead of OpenSSL. (At least for
> the SHA-2 part of course.)
>
> http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/lua/#lmd5

Thing is, most of the effort on these bindings is spent in packaging
and IMHO that (among other things[1]) is an essential bit. Having a
project homepage with status, version, API description, sample code,
and a standard and/or simple/documented way to build and test the
library is essential (IKEA knows) and lack of those things[2] is the
reason I haven't got to try luacrypto, lmd5 or lcrypt. The status quo
that Lua is mainly an embeddable language may have a fault in this. I
hope this to be improved in the future[3]. For what I can see, the
tools are trying to hit the spotlight with only moderate success
(luarocks, alien, lake, even luatcc, why not).

[1] http://code.google.com/p/lua-aux-lib/wiki/GoodLibraries
[2] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2901008/does-luacrypto-run-on-windows
[3] http://code.google.com/p/lua-aux-lib/wiki/GoodLibraries#Idea_for_a_library_catalog_and_assessment_website