On Nov 17, 2010, at 3:58 AM, Mike Pall wrote:

> I'm not going to start sorting out the API/ABI compatibility mess
> until I see developers jumping ship in hordes. LuaJIT has a
> user-base, too. And they don't like 'breaking' changes. However I
> might pick individual features (like __pairs) if they are easy to
> integrate and upwards-compatible. I'm open to suggestions.

I'm not wild about the N-squared time complexity, but the ephemeron GC as a solution to semi-weak-table-induced collection problems is pretty useful.

Getting rid of function environments (at least as mutable properties of functions) ought to be an optimization opportunity, but I'm not writing anything that depends on that.

The messier issue for me is that working in some environments where LuaJIT isn't an option -- e.g., iOS on ARM -- I'm really attracted by the yieldable pcall support in 5.2. That then leaves me trying to figure out what to do in environments where LuaJIT is an option.

Mark