On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Alex Bradbury <asb@asbradbury.org> wrote:
> I think this is a fair criticism. Rake seems to very frequently used
> for tasks other than compilation because for a Ruby project it's handy
> to define tasks using a familiar language and libraries.

Yes, this is the core part of Lake I want to liberate and make easier
to use without all the baggage, to support dependency-based
programming, as discussed in Martin Fowler's excellent article:

http://martinfowler.com/articles/rake.html

The manual does show how Lake can also do rake-like programming:

    task = target

    task('codeGen',nil,function()
      print 'codeGen'
    end)

    task('compile','codeGen',function()
      print 'compile'
    end)

    task('dataLoad','codeGen',function()
      print 'dataLoad'
    end)

    task('test','compile dataLoad',function()
      print 'test'
    end)

As I mention, the anonymous function stuff is more noisy in Lua which
is less syntactically flexible than Ruby for DSL creation.

steve d.