On 10/10/2010 8:54 PM, Matthew Wild wrote:
[snip] A graph of running it through squish with various options can
be found here: http://matthewwild.co.uk/projects/squish/squish_penlight.png

In summary, with all knobs turned to 11, squish reduced 215.3K of code
to 27.6K. This comes at a cost of +200ms load time for the gzip code
decompressing the script. Without gzip the smallest is 52.4K, and a
mere 24ms load time. Obviously this is an extreme example to
demonstrate the figures - a typical project would squish only the
individual files in Penlight that it needs to reduce size and load
time.

Nice work. I lust for full program transformation... :-)

Looking at squish_penlight.png, one more good item to compare is "(full minify) (gzip)". This will (I think) compare compressed keywords versus compressed uglified keywords. I've done some testing in the past -- keywords compresses well, what more it's a large file, so the file size might end up quite close to the minimum of 27.6KB, perhaps under 35KB.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)