I already have 5.1 installed via Fedora's repository and it might be
wise to leave it be for now. if installing from source is there a way to
name the 5.2 install something other then lua and luac in /usr/bin ?

Alternatively could I rename my old lua, luac, install the new one and
then renamed everything again to that the original install would be lua,
luac and the new one would be something like lua52, lua52c?

Thanks again-Patrick

I regret posting this. I am just excited and trying to race to the next step, but this was a low quality post. I will try to figure this out myself first, sorry-Patrick