Thanks so much to KHman, Vaughan and HyperHacker, this is more then I could have hoped for, thanks!

Sorry to bother the list with one more thing. As per KHMan's suggestion I think I might try 5.2. I would like to stick with the standard way of doing things and if there is a library in the newest version better to start with that.

I already have 5.1 installed via Fedora's repository and it might be wise to leave it be for now. if installing from source is there a way to name the 5.2 install something other then lua and luac in /usr/bin ?

Alternatively could I rename my old lua, luac, install the new one and then renamed everything again to that the original install would be lua, luac and the new one would be something like lua52, lua52c?

Thanks again-Patrick