On 03/09/2010 13:40, Stefan Behnel wrote:
Not any of the current GUI designers that I have used actually do "laborious pixel
placement"

I think Steve was thinking to the old GUI designers, indeed, those he mentioned, Visual Studio's resource editor being another.
Most Windows dialogs are still non-resizable, alas.

All somewhat recent graphical GUI designers use some kind of abstract GUI description
language, most often in XML.

JavaFX did a decent job at making a DSL for GUI description (a bit verbose, though). I think the NetBeans Composer generates directly JavaFX code.

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France