On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml@behnel.de> wrote:
>> 4. Am I reinventing the wheel?
>
> I think it's more like trying to invent a square wheel where an oval one
> already exists.

Well, an oval wheel still wobbles ;)

Personally, I'm not a great fan of visual designers.  One often ends
up with a gorgeous interface (with laborious pixel placement) and a
mess of spaghetti on the back end (Old Borland Delphi or VB
programmers will recognize this.)

I like declarative styles of specifying GUIs:

layout {
    form = f,
    border = {10,4,10,4},
    NORTH = layout{box='ACROSS',border = 5,
        JTextField 'huh',JButton 'first','...',JButton 'one',5,JButton 'two',
    },
    CENTER = splitter {
        LEFT = {scroll(list),width=100},
        RIGHT = splitter{
            TOP={scroll(table,nil,'ALWAYS'),height=150},
            BOTTOM={layout{box='DOWN',
                {scroll(tree),height=400},
                tree_value
            }}
        }
    },
    SOUTH = layout{WEST=status1,EAST=status2}
}